I’m thrilled to announce the details ofÂ my fall book tour with fellow authors Betsy Greer and Kim Werker.
Our brilliant publishers Arsenal Pulp Press & Sasquatch Books have partnered to send us on an incredible fall tour where we’ll visit 12 venues in eight different cities across the US & Canada. We’ll be participating in panels on craft, creativity, design and activism, and we’ll also be teaching hands-on workshops. In our workshops, we’ll be doing somewhat of a crafting ’round-robin’ and for my portion, I’ll be teaching story techniques for artists of all kinds, which is something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time.
I have to say that I’m in somewhat disbelief that this tour has come together is such a cohesive way. It had germinated as a half-thought that I had scratched onto a scrap of paper while working late at the night on a draft of my book, “Talk to Betsy and Kim about going on a book tour.”
A few weeks after, I shyly mentioned the idea to Kim while meeting forÂ sushi and she responded enthusiastically. Now, six months later, we actually have a tour schedule with an amazing roster of designers, curators, and artists as hosts. We’re all amazed at how this has come together.
Here’s the nitty-gritty of our tour:
Make Your Voice Heard: The Intersection of Craft, Creativity, and Activism
Betsy Greer will tour in support ofÂ Craftivism: The Art & Craft of ActivismÂ (Published May 2014). Leanne Prain will shareÂ Strange Material: Storytelling Through TextilesÂ (Forthcoming October 2014). Kim Werker will tour in support ofÂ Make it Mighty Ugly: Exercises and Advice for Getting Creative Even When It Ainâ€™t PrettyÂ (Forthcoming September 2014).
- October 1: Booksmith, San Francisco, CA, Rena Tom moderating
- October 2: Diesel Bookstore, Oakland, CA, Lisa Congdon moderating
- October 3: MakeShift Society, San Francisco, CA (hands-on workshop)
- October 5: Powellâ€™s City of Books, Portland, OR, Kate Bingaman-Burt moderating
- October 6: Makerhaus, Seattle, WA, Marlo Miyashiro moderating
- October 7: Hot Art Wet City, Vancouver, BC
- October 14: Textile Museum of Canada, Toronto, ON, Amy Singer moderating
- October 15: University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA, Garth Johnson moderating
- October 16: Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, MA, Meighan Oâ€™Toole moderating
- October 17: Brooklyn Craft Company, Brooklyn, NY, Sabrina Gschwandtner moderating
- October 18: MakeShift Society, Brooklyn, NY (hands-on workshop)
- October 20: Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, Nora Atkinson moderating
As event times are confirmed, I’ll be updating details on the Upcoming Events page of my website. In addition to my travels with Betsy and Kim, I’ll be participating in additionalÂ events on my own in Vancouver, Courtenay, and Seattle and they’ll be listed there as soon as I confirm with the venues.