Anthologized: Betsy Greer’s Craftivism

Post image for Anthologized: Betsy Greer’s Craftivism

by Leanne on March 21, 2014 · 6 comments

in Book Tour, Books, Publishing, Writing Life

Last Spring, amid working of drafts of my upcoming book  Strange Material: Storytelling Through Textiles, I managed to squeeze in a few other writing projects, including a personal essay on embroidery and community called Stitching It Together for Betsy Greer‘s new anthology Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism.

Without giving away too much, the essay discusses my experience of teaching craft, the value that I see in it, and how communities can come together around making.

I feel honoured to be included in a book that really is a whose-who of the current craftivism movement – among my favourite parts of the book are an essay called Don’t Get Angry, Get Cross-Stitch by Jamie Chalmers, the beloved Mr. X Stitch; and an interview with Maria Molteni of NCAA New Works, a fibre artist that makes nets for forlorn basketball hoops;  and an essay by filmmaker Faythe Levine (the brains behind Handmade Nation and more recently, the Sign Painters movie) on craft as a method of empowerment. This is truly a wonderful collection, and I’d recommend it even if I wasn’t involved in the project. The more time I spend with this book, the more I find to re-read and savour.

The past two weeks have also been busy ones for me as I’ve finished book edits on Strange Material (cover art debuting very soon!) and I’m planning a highly-creative, East Coast/West Coast book tour for the fall with Betsy Greer and the fabulous Kim Werker of Make it Mighty Ugly.  If you know of a tour venue that we must visit in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, DC, Toronto, or New York; please drop me a line in the comments below.

Betsy March 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thanks so much for this lovely post, Leanne! I’m so glad you liked the book and that you were involved with making it awesome! x

Leanne March 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Betsy! I was so glad to be a part of it, and I’m looking forward to spending even more time with your book. There is so much interesting content to read and re-read!

Laura Bucci March 31, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Looking forward to the tour and books! Glad the three of you are touring together!

Leanne April 3, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thanks Laura! We’re thinking that the Vancouver event (still to be confirmed) will be on October 7th. We’ll be announcing a full list of dates and venues soon. It is funny that you left me a comment this week – I use a linen pouch that I bought from you at the Culture Crawl for my business cards, and I took it to a conference at the Portland art school this past weekend and received many compliments on it!

Agy March 31, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I hope to get my hands on this. Craft does wonders for a community. I am organising a yarn bombing event in Singapore in conjunction with the Singapore Mini Maker Faire. We’re all excited about it.

Leanne April 3, 2014 at 7:33 am

Hi Agy, thanks so much for dropping a comment. I’d love to hear more about the yarn bombing event in Singapore. I’ve recently joined the board of Vancouver Mini Maker Faire, and I’m curious to know more about Maker Faire in other cities.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: